Things I like:
- Quiet streets
- Yellow houses
- Yellow kitchens, also white, or blue.
- Laminate or hardwood floors
- Yellow (or white or blue), sunny kitchens with hardwood floors (duh!)
- Tile floors also
- Big, bare yards (blank slate!)
- Big windows
- Open spaces
- No neighbors! Or few of them, and quiet - like I have now.
- A place for the Leopard to roll around in the sun and show her chubby pink belly to the sky
- A short, predictable commute to work. 1/2 hour, just long enough to eat breakfast and assemble my mental armor.
- Green houses.
- Pink houses.
- A place where I may consider transferring the decomposing body of sweet sacred Georgia Brown.
- A place where I feel safe OR a place cheap enough that I reserve some money for a big fence and an alarm. But preferably the first.
- A place where I can lie with no shirt on in the clean sunny dirt (see above).
- Having a vegetable garden.
- Not having to freak out about locking up my bicycle in maximum-security solitary confinement.
- Blue houses (a nice blue, or blue and white. Not the depressing, dull, poverty-grey-blue.)
Things I do not like:
- Grout.
- Having to move at all.
- Having to weigh my safety vs. my privacy vs. hours in the car every day vs. sunlight.
- Grey houses, or brown, or a weird, deranged pastel that is mostly dirt.
- Carpet, especially if/when it is old and disgusting.
- Neighbors with pitbulls.
- Neighbors with un-neutered, uncared-for pets of any kind.
- Being single (so far. To be fair it has only been three weeks).
- Knowing I will probably get out-maneuvered by counter-offers or cash investors even if it's a property I *don't* love.
- Sitting in traffic for the hours I will end up doing if I get a place I can afford (one hour each way every day). Achy back, no food, polluting my sweet sweet world.
- Jumping awake in the middle of the night wondering if someone is breaking in (not looking forward!)
- Seeing people on meth or other drugs twitching near the house I'm looking at.
- Condos where there is someone above you, below you, and to either side.
- Small, concrete patios with no sun.
- HOA dues of $300 at least.
- Places that smell or feel like urine, smoke, or anger and hopelessness.
- Looking at my current home with an eye to what’s mine, what’s hers, and what has to go.
- All this, really.
I am grateful, of course. Not of course, like it's a given. I am grateful, simply, punto y final. I have my health (no cancer!), safety, a clean, safe home while I figure out what is next. None of that is to be discounted and plenty of women do not have any of those. And please, say a prayer for those who do not. (Goddess protect them, those who do not.)
But I still have my own unique experience which is that I. Hate. This. I did not want it, and I do not like it. I had built the life I longed for, my co-builder jumped ship, and now I need to cast about and look for the next shore. (I don't care if that is a mixed metaphor, it works for me). I can do it, and I will, but I don't have to like it, and I don't. Now. On to see the next listing.
But I still have my own unique experience which is that I. Hate. This. I did not want it, and I do not like it. I had built the life I longed for, my co-builder jumped ship, and now I need to cast about and look for the next shore. (I don't care if that is a mixed metaphor, it works for me). I can do it, and I will, but I don't have to like it, and I don't. Now. On to see the next listing.
1 comment:
I like blue houses too but not pink. What is it with the pink houses? Are they anathema to meths?
Post a Comment