So good, in fact, that I sometimes think: "I should write that down." And this morning it occurred to me that I have the perfect forum to do so, here in this occasional blog.
So here is a piece of advice I gave a dear friend last night. This one is for the single ladies and mens. (Sorry about the link, that song is just stuck in my head).
I know well that feeling of "This person is meant to be my partner." It's a legitimate phenomenon (yes, I actually talk like this).
However that 'meant to be' feeling has no bearing on how many nights you will go to bed without crying, how many meals you will eat in happy togetherness, how many hikes you will go on, concerts you'll listen to, explorations you will have, how many peaceable days and supportive afternoons. It has nothing to do with how many years you will be together, with how few fights. 'Meant to be' doesn't predict shared values or everyday compatibility.
In the reality of partnership, it is those things that matter. "Meant to be" exists, but it runs on a separate, independent track. So notice it and allow it, but don't confuse it for the real thing.
![]() |
| Trillium at San Pedro Valley Park |

No comments:
Post a Comment