Today I saw fiddlenecks thrusting their curling orange smiles up at the world, so I decided to make a dated list of the wildflowers as I start seeing them. This will also help me stay up-to-date on my botany, which I am losing through disuse, and hopefully make you jealous enough that you go out and take a hike, if you do not do so already. Every time I see something new bringing in Spring and then Summer, I'll put it at the end of the list. After some thought, I will include tree flowers, because I love them so much, and weeds, because I always notice them, but these will be marked with an I.
So, to date and with no particular date, I've seen:
Cynoglossum officionale - Houndstongue
Cardimine californica - Milkmaids
Escholzia californica - California poppy
Umbellularia californica - California Bay Laurel
Manzanita sp. - Manzanita
Acacia sp - Acacia (I)
Erodium sp - Storksbill (I)
Cherry and /or peach and/or nut blossoming trees; I can't tell them apart but those heavenly pink flowers and sweet nectar smells are some of my favorite harbingers of spring. I'm sure I've seen more, but this is all I can think of right now.
2/21/2011
Raphanus sativus - Wild Mustard (I)
Brassica nigra - Black mustard (I)
Amsinckia menziesii var. intermedia - Intermediate Fiddleneck
Have you hiked lately? What have you seen?
No comments:
Post a Comment