Here in
biopsy never-never land, I feel certain kinships with all the other women who must
be going through this (I feel kinship with everyone who has dealt with divorce, too, but We Aren’t Thinking About That Right Now).
It’s
unnerving to know how many other women right now are driving, or writing, or
working, or sleeping with their sweet, soft sacred breast gouged up and bruised
by the biopsy needle. Make no mistake
about it, this is not a “feminine” process in the stereotypical pink fuzzy
sense of the word. It’s hard and gasping
and bloody, it shoves and stabs and requires all your musculature to brace up on that table. And how many women have how many left or
right breasts aching quiescent or oozing blood under their polo or t-shirt or
blazer as I write this?
And how
many women are in the agony of hurry up and wait? How many went through the undignified, unofficial
support group in the Kaiser basement, us strangers in our gowns like kids outside
the principal’s office, trading strategy and comfort while the radiologist
called us in one by one and delivered either a pardon… or a detention to the next
procedure? How many are checking
Facebook and email when we all know the news will come by phone, but it is
restless and relentless, this need to know, to see, are we there yet, will I
live? News, is there news, any news yet? Did anybody say something? Can anybody help?
| Deer behind barbed wire. Edgewood County Park, San Mateo. Yes, it's symbolism, ok? |
1 comment:
Which Kaiser, which doctor(s)? My Santa Clara oncologist, surgeon, plastic surgeon and nurse practitioner (and friend who is also a Kaiser surgery room nurse) were all amazing. But now that I think about it, maybe all that care came after I was official diagnosed. Maybe you are in nowhere land waiting. Hmmm. Another trade-off in the health care system. Can we be your thousand points of light - all of us one-breasted wonders?
Post a Comment