Friday, December 24, 2010

Things I am looking forward to about quitting smoking

1. Getting my singing voice back: I used to have a lovely singing voice, and a talent for creating harmonies that nobody but my steering wheel and the song on CD would ever hear. Now I have a smoker's croak. I'm looking forward to riffing off Ella Fitzgerald and Ani Difranco again.

2. Smoking is an obligation that I'm looking forward to being free from. I must always be sure to have cigarettes and a lighter on hand. I must excuse myself from parties every 45 minutes or so with my purse. (While it's nice to smoke and look at the stars once I get outside, it's embarrassing to walk past people wondering what the heck I'm doing slipping out so often...a medical problem perhaps?) I must keep an eye on the smoke supply just as if it were coffee and cream. It's one more obligation on an already long list.

3. Smoking is ugly. I can spot other smokers by their croak, smell, and wrinkles. I want to keep whatever natural beauty the goddess gave me as long as I possibly can.

4. Smoking is hard on those around me. It's hard on my partner, and for those of my family who know about it. I love kids, and always worry about contaminating them with third-hand smoke (if you've not heard of it, read here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/health/research/03smoke.html). It's hard on the environment.

5. Smoking is expensive! I don't have an iPhone, so I can't get the neat app my friend Rebecca got when she quit, but I do hope to calculate my savings and use them for a nice massage as soon as I have enough.

I think quitting will be hard, I think I may not succeed past a few days. But I hope I do, because there's a lot I'm looking forward to about it.

1 comment:

tierramor said...

And not having cigarette burns in my fleeces and car seats! And not having stinky smokers breath! And not wondering what that bird song is while I am hiking and realizing it's my own wheezing! And not coughing in my sleep! (Or at least, not so much). Gosh, I hope this works.