Sunday, January 16, 2011

Galactic Bats

Hello everyone,

I've been, not just gone, but GONE.  I sent my Mom an email saying "The Real Miriam isn't home right now, but when she gets in, I'll have her call you."  Smoking cessation has slipped blankets between my synapses, wrapped my words in grey felt and seared a dull bitter anger into my brain.  Or, in the vernacular, WTF?  I'm angry and unhappy and tired, I'm dropping things and confusing words, I'm a terrible driver and not a very good lover.  These things are not like me.

Soon, we'll have a phenomenal post about bees, and my cousin's images will rock your socks off, but for now I just wanted to say Hi, and tell you that I saw a gazillion battlestar galactica bats today at Last Trampas.  I have no idea what kind they were, but they rocketed and zoomed around at a million miles an hour.  I also heard the roar / growl again.  Not sure whether you should be horrified or proud, but I pulled out my new phone, went on the Android Market, downloaded a sound recorder, and was standing there, waiting to hear the sound again, when my phone went dead.  Today, and yesterday, too, I felt like myself for a couple of hours, which is an incredible relief.

I saw miner's lettuce coming up, and I think the first fuzzy leaves of fiddleneck.  My botany is of an intimate sort; I want to know plants from seed leaf through senescence, I want to know taste and feel and smell.  There are no secrets in my botany, every season is in season, every trait is mine to find and remember and find again.

How is your art, your science, your passion?

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Good to hear your growling. I was getting a little worried. Not that you should have to blog everyday or on a schedule but we know that now is a tough time for you.

m1mccullough said...

So glad you are back!!! I was missing you. I think it is safe to say we all know how hard you are working to kick this thing, it is a battle, but one you can win.
I am obsessed with a particular flowering weed in my yard. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I am going to send you a couple of shots so in your botanist wisdom you can identify it for me! I take photos of it everyday every few hours, that is how often it changes appearance.
please help me.