Saturday, February 19, 2011

One from the archives (almost)

Well, so, this blog needs to decide what it's going to be.  The last time I kept a blog, it had a firm identity.  It was about garbage and love, two very compelling issues to me.  But then again, that blog got to be over a thousand pages, self absorbed and rambly, and it was just overwhelming.

This blog, now, it's not sure.  Is it about quitting smoking?  Nature?  What's the whole science angle?  How often will it get posts?  How much of those will be original writing?  Will it even keep going?

Good questions, all.  I guess only time will tell.  Sorry if it's too random.

This is almost a poem from the archives, except that it never even made it into the archives.  I was just tidying my room and I found it in a tiny notebook.  I remember scrawling it hastily (hasty scrawling is just about the only way I write poems) while on a hike.  It was late summer 2009, and we still lived in Davis.



THE GREEN AND THE GOLD

I would wait for rain forever
in this summer-spelled
breath-held
fire-starter season.
As long as the breeze keeps coming
to keep the flesh from split-scorching off my frame
I’ll wait -
a windborne hovered thought
a thistle seed caught.
Aloft in the currents 
between finding a way to land
and grabbing all the joy I can fit in my hands.

Balance.  Sure.  I know.
But this has always been my song. 
Keep away the winter, make summer last, everlong. 

I'm in love with summer, also the cleft in the seasons,
time held in between things, leaf madness on breezes.
I'm in love with more than this space in the fall,
but with the green and gold hunt for having it all.  




©m.sachs.martin

1 comment:

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

how lovely to see a poem from you! i say pshaw to a blog with a single identity! you contain multitudes, why shouldn't your blog :-)