Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wildness, redux

So maybe this is not just my quit-smoking blog, but my get-through-hard-times-generally blog.  And Where the Wild Things Are might refer to the wildness of grief and obsession as well as the lovely critters I see while hiking.

Sunny hillside with tarweed, Mount Diablo State Park.
A lot has changed since I last posted, but I am still quit of smoking.  It's a good thing, because I am awaiting biopsy results on a lump in my breast.

Sweet Georgia Brown is gone.  He died April 4th, 2012.

The other main thing that has changed is that Piera is gone, was gone, specifically, 7 days before this cancer scare.  And that is so large and wild of a hurt that I can't yet really post about it, especially not sitting here in this home that we shared until just a blink of an eye ago.

I was thinking about writing today, and the sentences in my mind were sort of scintillating and witty.  I had little jokes lined up about titty bling and frankenchi-chi.  But home in this House of Grief, no longer a House of Bun, I feel grimmer.

Women are coming out from everywhere to support me.  The Realtor, my clients, colleagues - something about what I am going through makes them want to share their experience, support, and strength.

My friends and family are carrying me through.  I am trying to skate lightly along the ugly underbelly of life and still hike and eat and care for my Leopard (who had major surgery on Wednesday - it's been that kind of week).

I don't want these times to rear up and grab me.  I don't, either, think I will come through unchanged.  Too much has happened for me to know how to pray in words, but I did kneel down and kiss the ground when I heard coyotes sing tonight.

Is there a prayer of your heart?  What does it say?


5 comments:

Cindy said...

oh, those are lyrical words, and yes, pain can be lyrical. You are reaching deep and thank you for having the courage to do so and share it. I have a silly cat climbed into a basket right now and the strange noise is waking up the other cat. How funny is that? I am so glad that you are stay away from the cigs. Did you read my mind about this worry? Thank you for answering that.

tierramor said...

I read your mind and was just trying for continuity, also. And your prayer of the heart, Professor? (I nicknamed you first, dk if you ever noticed it.)

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

It is so good to hear your writing voice again, my dear. This prayer of my heart has gotten me through more dark days than I care to think about right now. Perhaps it would offer you a bit of comfort, too. "But listen to me: for one moment, stop being sad. Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you." ~ Rumi

Cindy said...

oh, yes, I do remember you calling me Professor. As a Professor-squared-brat (both of my parents were univ profs), that is an honor and kinda hilarious. Do you like your nickname? (PS to other readers: I called the earthmama - wait, another nickname - this is getting confusing social media-wise!!! - "Pixie". Is that a great nickname or what? I just noticed that this page has 906 page views. That is ridiculous! Are you a movie star or something?

Cindy said...

. . . and I am not sure what my prayer of the heart is or what a prayer of the heart is. But you do have me thinking about it. Free association with no analytical pondering = I know that in my darkest nights when I thought I was going to die before my son grew up I had one or two songs that I would sing over and over in my head. They were "May the Lord Protect and Defend You" in Fiddler on the Roof (not sure that is the actual title of the song but is it the phrase I would sing over and over even though I do not practice a formal religion - the song has very strong family connections) and I would listen to Enya as I went to sleep every night.