As a friend, I stick around. Pretty much the only way to get rid of me is to ignore me in a sustained and concerted manner.
I court people who I want for friends. Josie did that for me, some 10-15 years ago, and I was so impressed, I thought I'd try. Jen J., Rolla, and other amazing women are a testament to how well this can work.
I consider it part of "my job" to watch how my friends change and grow over time and to reflect that back to them. Sometimes I wrestle with frustration with the things they choose to do. If I think it's helpful, I reflect that, too. If not, I try my best to STFU. :)
Because of the above, when I give compliments, my friends know they are true. I try not to talk fluff. I try not to lie. When I say something positive, my friends, they know they can put that in the bank, that I mean it for cierto.
There is a point to this, for which you should read the next entry. But first: what kind of friend are you?
1 comment:
what kind of friend am i?
yours, my sweet :-)
(and here i was thinking i courted you!)
it's so nice to read your writing again!
Post a Comment