
Las Trampas Regional Wilderness is a place to pray, to push past my limits and get my ass kicked, a place to quietly pad along and startle coyotes. It's a place to hear new sounds and see new animals, like today's thousand teenchy red water mites forming their own ecosystem in a cow's hoofprints. It's the Henry Coe of the East Bay - larger than life, not suited for a quick hike, but for confronting my fear and my physical limits.
Can you tell I'm in love?
I've been going to Las Trampas almost every weekend for a few months now, and as I get tougher from navigating her hills and steep trails, she pulls me in, and deeper in.
Today I thought I was bad-azz; hiking in my Carhartts left over from field work days, full of energy and long strides. Even after I settled in to my normal quiet padding, I felt so pleased to feel so safe, a small woman, in the wilderness, alone. But Las Trampas doesn't let me leave until she's marked me.
I planned for too long a hike, as I often do, get to the point where I should turn back in order to not get caught out after dark, say "f*ck it", and keep going forward. For a time, I thought I was lost, and as one sometimes does, assumed I was almost back to the staging area. Ha!

I finally saw a sign - not lost then, but still three miles in. I trudged on; water done, food gone, knees hurting. The light was fading fast, and I was teaching myself to slow down, take a deep breath, and move through the mud on my feet and not my bottom.
Hiking is learning. I learn to push past my fears to find the next fear on the horizon. I learn to be stronger, quieter, stay longer, disturb less. I learn my friend's faces - black oak, blue oak, valley oak, coast; deer print, cow print, 'coon print, coyote.
Are you with me? Do you picture me? Good, so go here: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Bobcat_sounds_audio.aspx, and click on the fifth item, Bobcat Sound 3. Now come back to Last Trampas with me.
I heard that sound far off, and was caught in a moment of awe. "Someone is killing his dinner", I thought. "And someone else is dying." Predation, that sacred scariness, about 300 feet to my left. I wondered what animal it was- I've never heard the sound before. I felt deeply moved. After a moment, I kept walking.
Another half hour went by. I could no longer even pretend there was any light left, but I was exhausted and happy, safe in my beloved hills. I hove into the final descent. Now go back here: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Bobcat_sounds_audio.aspx, and listen to number 12, bobcat sound 4. I heard this right behind me and nearly jumped out of my skin. Then I heard a similar sound in front of me and about 100 feet to the right. My legs started shaking. If I had remembered I was human, I would have shouted,

but I was so deep down, so Las Trampas, that I continued padding quietly. My first thought was 'jackals', although of course not. My second thought was that this was about mating; communicating, not about me. And my third thought was that it took everything I had not to sprint for the gate on my wigged out knees.
I made it, of course, home to cook a huge pot of pasta and look up animal sounds on the Internet. I'm fairly sure this was bobcat - it's the closest match I could find. They are normally silent, but become vocal during mating season, which can start as early as January.
So it all makes sense, now. But I thank my goddess for things that do not make sense, for huge roars in the night, parks bigger than me, for the awe-inspiring mystery of it all.
4 comments:
You are so brave. I would have pooped my pantaloons! You are also lucky, and talented (to walk so quietly). The only animals I have heard there are the turkeys, and usually they sound like they are laughing. :)
lady, you are something else. bending down to get closer to the rattlesnake, chewing on the sourgrass and hoping nothin' peed on it. And now bobcats.
braver than i, that's for sure!
Ahahahaaa! "I hope nobody peed on this". That and "liquid smoke" will always live in the archives of our friendship. Someday I'll have to make you a picture book of these things.
I would LOVE that :-)
Post a Comment