Thursday, December 30, 2010

Little M photos - LADYBUGS!


Thank you to those who requested more of my marvelously talented cousin's photos! This week, in honor of BB's ladybug dress, we have a lovely assortment of ladybug pics for you.

To purchase photos of various cool critters by Little M, visit: http://www.viewbug.com/estore/littlemphoto


Ladybugs are the queen of beneficial garden insects. They are aphid-eating machines. Both adults and larvae will voraciously consume these soft-bodied pests. Ladybugs can be purchased and released in the garden. The best time to do this is in the evening, and make sure to water the garden first. Many people consider green lacewing larvae to be a better deal in terms of buying beneficial insects, because the ladybugs have a tendency to "fly away home".

However, green lacewing larvae are not nearly as cute as ladybugs, and don't have the funny smiley eyes. This is a scientific fact and sources will be cited at the end. In order to attract ladybugs and other beneficial insects to a garden, there are several things you can do.

1. Plant a diversity of native species. You want variety in height, type, flowering time, color, fruit / seed, deciduous / evergreen, etc. A short list off the top of my head of plants known for their beneficial insect-attracting prowess are:

  • Achillea millefolium (yarrow)
  • Eriogonum fasciculatum (buckwheat - any native buckwheat, really, not just this one)
  • Baccharis pilularis (coyote brush)
  • Asclepias fascicularis (narrow-leaf milkweed - any native milkweed, not just this one)
  • Salvia spp. (any native sage, but know that sagebrush is not a sage...it's in the wormwood family. You want a true safe like black sage or pitcher)
  • Penstemon spp., (Penstemon)
  • And then the holy trinity of native California shrub-trees - Ceanothus spp. (California Lilac), Rhamnus californica (California coffeeberry), and Arctostaphylos spp. (Manzanita).

2. Don't use synthetic fertilizers. Don't use chemical pesticides or herbicides.

3. Have readily available water, and keep some areas of your garden as insect habitat, like a piece of a log, some big rocks, or an area by a fence.

4. Talk to your beneficial garden insects in a special voice, encourage them, point out aphids they may have missed. (Optional)




Ladybugs are sexually dimorphous, with the females usually being larger than the male. The number of spots is just individual variation, and does not correlate to age or species. There are about 5000 species of ladybugs worldwide, but the most common one in the United States is the Convergent Lady Beetle (Hippodamia convergens).


There are tons of wonderful website about beneficial garden insects and ladybugs in particular.


In order to scientifically prove that ladybugs are cute, you'll just have to plant some native California plants and watch them zoom around looking for aphids.

Enjoy, and don't forget to visit Michelle's shop!



6 comments:

tierramor said...

PS - a note from the photographer herself: "I wanted to include a couple of larvae for you to choose from, then there are some actually emerging from their cases, the ones that look almost transparent are freshly hatched. I put one in with NO spots just for kicks. And I put in some bow-chica-bow womp ladybug action too. lol"

P said...

Hey, I LOVE these photos. Please send photography tips! And post more photos. Don't hold out on us now!

m1mccullough said...

WOW! What great information...My cousin really did her homework on these cute additions to gardens everywhere. Thank you all for your support of my photos and I really am so excited to have a forum that strives to educate as well as provide some stimulating colorful shots to see.
My favorite "how to" is definitely number 4. I love to use my special voice when photographing them as well, I find they really respond to it!

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

this is SO cool! Thanks so much for the ladybugs and the fantastic pictures!!! BB loves them, too.. So kind of you!

We got to witness the ladybug life cycle with a nifty science kit that BJ got for his birthday a while back -- Ladybug Land is a little habitat for them that lets them grow from larvae through adult. So neat to see how different they looked as babies! and then we got to release the adults in our garden for a great bonus. http://mamasmagic.blogspot.com/2009/04/letting-ladybugs-go.html

m1mccullough said...

That sounds like so much fun to raise them. I am so glad you enjoyed the photos! I think I might have to get one of those kits to see the process without having to chase them around the yard! lol
thanks so much for the support!
little m :)

Cindy said...

I just learned a bunch AND you used the word "cute" nine times (well, actually, I just scientifically counted and it was only twice). My favorite part is "the holy trinity of native California shrub-trees". I will quote you on that one. More please.