Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Never say Never

Life is nice right now. It feels like it did last year about this time, when we had first moved back to the Bay Area and were incredibly glad to be home. The weather was saner, jobs started coming my way almost immediately, the gnawing ache of missing my hills was assuaged with weekly hikes and I spent time with friends every week.

This feels like then. Georgia is in somewhat of a holding pattern, I am planning on quitting smoking, I bought a lovely comfy rocking chair for $70 at Goodwill (be envious, yes), we have fun New Year's plans, I am going to a gym and getting acupuncture too. My sister-in-law is about to give birth and I am going to be an auntie soon! Once the solstice passed, I breathed a huge sigh of relief - I made it through the dark time of Winter. Now should be the easier part, 90 seconds more of sun each day, and the drumroll of plants blooming us to Spring will soon begin.

They say never say never, and I thought that today when I went to my first ever gardening job. About a year and a half ago, I injured my back doing heavy fieldwork; woke up one day and couldn't walk. Then followed one of the worst periods of my life; leaving my job, being unemployed, getting used to what it is like to live with pain every day. On a side note, after acupuncture yesterday, I had no pain for almost an hour. It was an amazing experience to feel the pain coming back bit by bit and to feel it distinct from me rather than an integral part of my body. For a moment, I "had" pain, instead of "was" pain. Amazing.

After my back injury, I thought I was never going to be able to work outdoors again. After all, if I can barely lift the groceries, how can I sling mulch all day? But lately, I've been realizing that hunching over a computer all day is hardly healthy either. On a whim, I answered a Craigslist post looking for a gardener. It was a surprising moment to put on my long-folded Carhartts and work boots, walk up to the house, sink down on my knees, and start in on the crabgrass. :) I spent three hours there, wind whipping my hood and hair, sun smiling on my face, piles of crabgrass and oxalis mounding next to me. Yes, my back hurts worse now, but I hope to get stronger bit by bit by continuing to work outside, and once I quit smoking, taking up more specific exercise at the gym.

And so life feels sweet and crisp, full of plans and possibilities, a perfect Fuji apple for biting.

How is your life these days?

5 comments:

P said...

My life is good. (I'm with YOU!)

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

life is lovely, back home again after a very full holiday in snowy mountains surrounded by family. kids loved the bear bells, snowball fights, making snow people, and fresh snow falling on Christmas night. Plus my computer is up and running again (thank you, Dad!) and even though that means dealing with the bajillion emails that were waiting for me -- the announcement of your blog being one of them -- it's nice to be home, online, and in that more relaxed time of year between Christmas and New Years. Plus my parents are still here for a bit, which is always fun. Miss you, though!

Cindy said...

I am sorta amazed at the intricacies of having an adult offspring visit during the holidays. An amazing young man with whom I share movies, music, books, fence projects, the diversity of life in terms of nonsensical associations, and complicated family connections. Yet still so rough-edged. It's kinda fun to watch the unfolding although I have to remind myself not to make assumptions or get too sentimental. Now I am thinking about pain being a separate experience.

tierramor said...

Jen, welcome home! I miss you too! On my New Years Resolutions are spending regular time with you and the UGK's. If I recall, Thursdays are good, is that correct? Cindy, I thought moms were allowed to or even supposed to get sentimental? Although then maybe grown sons are supposed to not know what to do with that. Has Reed graduated? Is he off to new things?

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Yay for that resolution! Def gonna make that happen. Thursdays are good to visit with me (unless it's a day I'm in BJ's classroom; Scott and I switch Thursdays). MWF is better if you want to also get to see BB. Let's email to set up a day!