Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Solstice

I meant to celebrate the solstice today. Really, I did. I wanted to go for a hike, or do a small ritual, somehow connect with and honor the darkness without and the darkness within.

Instead I spent the day dogged by grumpiness, tired. I got acupuncture, which hurt more than usual. I booked a "counseling session" with Piera and she stroked my hair and told me to eat some food and go to the gym, which I did. My daily ins-and-outs drag me down much more than I wish they would.

We did see the eclipse last night. The moon looked like a pebble or a ball, tethered to the Earth by a very short string. Piera was poetic and said "She looks so vulnerable, now, stripped of her fine party dress."

And today I did plant narcissus bulbs. Even if I cannot step far enough away from darkness to carry off a proper salute, I can almost always manage to curve myself towards light. Five weeks or so and my room will be perfumed, moon-bright fingernails of flower petals growing faithfully towards Spring.


2 comments:

P said...

OOOH! I said something poetic. That's just cool. Thanks, Bun.

m1mccullough said...

I loved this!